[Bf-committers] linux app icon proposal

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Nov 3 06:44:49 CET 2006

On 02/11/2006, at 21:27 PM, Jakub Steiner wrote:

> Howdy Blenderheads.
>
> I've designed an application icon for Linux Blender to be on par with
> the quality that both Windows and Mac OS X users enjoy. The icons
> follow
> the Tango style guidelines [1], making it suitable for KDE, Xfce and
> GNOME environments.

Excellent work!

Blender has been missing a decent icon on Linux for a while now -
Even in modern distributions that I've seen, there's only been one
old crappy version in one size only. This one ( http://
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/3/39/20051020172512%
21Blender.png ) seems to be used a lot, which isn't that good, and is
a quite incorrect usage of the logo too.

Now, I'm more than happy to commit this to CVS, but I'm uncertain of
how to go about this for Linux. Hopefully just including it in the
source will encourage the distributions to use it in their packages
that they make, but otherwise for people who download it, it's more
tricky. Since there's no installer for Linux, and the icons don't get
built into the application like on Windows or Mac, there's not really
an easy way to make sure the icon gets set up there and used, is there?

We could just include the files in the build system so that they
appear in the release archive, so people can copy them in themselves
if they like, but it's a bit of a chore. Is there any easy system, or
cross-distro/desktop method of making some sort of installation
script, where you could doubleclick it, which then would set up a
nice application menu item thingy and copy the icons to the right
place on the system? Or is that not really possible in Linux these days?

Any Linux gurus/maintainers have any advice here?

cheers

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net