[Bf-committers] cineon/dxr support in Blender

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 11:35:47 CET 2006

Joe Eagar wrote:
> Ton Roosendaal wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Oh, that's cool! :)
>>
>> Afiak, Cineon is per-definition film-scanner format, and requires
>> this logarithmic mapping to black and white, also allowing deeeep
>> black and ultra white colors. Probably the cinepaint code has the
>> formula for conversion from float (0-1) range to cineon range?
>>
>> DPX is a generic format, which can also write 16 bits/component. For
>> dpx, linear mapped colors should be possible too.
> Actually the exporter library took 16-bits-per-channel unsigned shorts
> as input, so I had to do some conversion.  I took some test files into
> cinepaint to make sure I did it right, and it works.
>
> What worries me is whether or not the endian-switching code works; the
> dpx/cineon import/export library I took from cinepaint's cineon/dpx
> plugin uses tcp/ip endian switching functions, and I frankly have no
> idea if the cinepaint developers have made sure it all works or not.
> joeedh

I posted a patch tarball to the tracker at
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3972&group_id=9&atid=127

To use, just unzip the tarball inside the blender/ dir (not below it)
and apply the cineon.patch patch file.

Files I changed are:
- writeimage.c (in imbuf) -- added hooks to the cineon/dpx saving functions.
- image.c (in blenkernel) -- added automatic extension appendage, and
added the line needed for saving.
- buttons_scene.c (in src) -- added to render output menu there
- DNA_scene_types -- added typed R_CINEON and R_DPX
- IMB_imbuf_types (in imbuf) -- added CINEON and DPX as format types,
with bitmasks 21 and 20 respectively.
- source/blender/imbuf/intern/Makefile -- added cineon subdir.
- source/Makefile -- added linking stuff.

I added a cineon dir in imbuf; outside of the cineon dir the only file I
added was IMB_dpxcineon.h (which I placed in imbuf where it belongs).

since all needed code is included, I opted to not got through the
trouble of putting everything in #ifdefs.  I went through the code with
-pedantic set and removed all warnings.

joeedh