[Bf-committers] Vertex Groups bug?

Ben Batt benbatt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 10:57:24 CEST 2006

On 6/16/06, Geoffrey Bantle <hairbat at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just a quick (and possibly stupid) question, but how
> exactly are vertex groups supposed to work on mesh
> blocks linked to multiple objects?
>
> I was under the impression that if you have two
> objects,  and each one was linked to the same mesh
> block, they would have independent sets of vertex
> groups. This seems to not work however, as this file
> should illustrate:
>
> http://www.umsl.edu/~gcbq44/vweightsprob.blend
>
> The first object is called 'Obj1' and it has 2 vertex
> groups: 'A' and 'B'.
> The second object is called 'Obj2' and it has 2 vertex
> groups 'C' and 'D'.
>
> Now even though the two objects have differently named
> vertex groups, weight painting group 'A' on Obj1 will
> change the weights of group 'C' on Obj2. Similarly
> weight painting group 'B' on Obj1 will change the
> weights of group 'D' on Obj2.
>
> Is this a bug?

I'm not really an authority, but I do know that the vertex group names
are stored in the Object block, whereas the weight information is
stored in the Mesh block, so the above behaviour makes sense. Whether
this is the best behaviour, I don't know. Perhaps the group names
should be stored in the Mesh block?

Ben