[Bf-committers] Vertex Groups bug?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Jun 16 11:21:04 CEST 2006

Hi,

Check the third diagram here:
http://www.blender.org/cms/How_Armatures_work.634.0.html

Vertex groups are stored partially on Mesh, and partially on Object
level. In a Mesh the deform weights are indexed, and these indices are
used to look up vertexgroup names in the Object.

I am still unsure why the design was made this complex. Maybe the idea
was you can reuse the same Mesh model to be deformed by armatures with
different names.... I think it would have been sufficient to store all
information on Mesh level.

But storing vertexgroup indexes on Object level? That would make
editing meshes very complex.

You also would have noticed the buttons for vertex groups are in the F9
"Edit buttons", where all Mesh options reside. Further you can only
edit groups in editmode...

-Ton-