[Bf-committers] Re: Do release scripts automatically copy the logo.png from "blender\release\scripts\bpymodules\colladaImEx" ?

D.J. Capelis djcapelis at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 06:15:55 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 16:38 -0400, pspcontest at erwincoumans.com wrote:
> Number one is that Blender benefits greatly from COLLADA 1.4 export/import.

I'm pretty sure no one's arguing that this isn't the case.  I'm thrilled
to see more import/export scripts being incorporated.

> Don't use the lack of documentation as an excuse for 'dev review'. This is
> just a small incident, which is already being resolved. That is what this
> committers mailing list is for.

Lack of documentation is only one problem.  While it looks like that
one's hopefully being resolved, it also seems that if there was some
review to ensure that scripts meet the requirements to be accepted into
the tree that would be a helpful thing.

For the most part the scripts are created by contributors that don't
have CVS access and aren't familiar with the coding style and other
details that are normally followed.  It seems prudent to have some folks
that are more familiar with the details look over the scripts that are
going in to not only provide feedback but ensure some consistency.

If we decide this is a bad idea, that's fine... but I think it should be
discussed and considered.  If no one from the python team wants to do
this, then by all means let's not do it.  However, if there's interest
perhaps it should be discussed at the next Sunday meeting.  (I may not
be able to attend due to other obligations but since I have little to do
with python this isn't something I can really speak on anyways so that
doesn't seem to be much of a problem... I just wanted to bring up the
idea of more review in the area as it seems that perhaps some sort of
process here could help.)

> D.J. Capelis: calling this area of the tree 'slightly chaotic area of the
> tree' is annoying and upsetting for people who are doing hard work.

I'm not a believer that chaos is always a bad thing, this was not meant
to be insulting.  It was simply more of an observation that this piece
is mostly developed by a wide range of people and is much less
consistent than other parts of the tree that are worked on by a smaller
subset of people.  We're less consistent here than other parts of the
tree.

It's no one's fault, it's just the way it is.  Taking this as a personal
insult seems a bit silly... I appreciate the work that's being done in
this area, I was not intending to upset anyone.  Please accept my
apologies.

> Thanks,
> Erwin

Cheers,