[Bf-committers] Re: CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src B.blend.c

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Sat Jun 10 17:57:38 CEST 2006

Joe Eagar wrote:
>>> Why not toggle the depth test button too? It is a typical complain new
>>> people have (and it only works in solid edit mode, anyway).
>>>
>>> GSR
>>

>> Yes, I would very much like to do that too -- does anybody
>> have an objection?
>
> I would object to turning the depth test button off by default--it's
> hardly the most obvious button there is. :)  And it is an important
> feature; you don't want a new user thinking "Hrm! Blender doesn't even
> hide the back verts?! Screw this!" because they didn't know the feature
> existed.

The problem I have (and I suspect that the last person
who committed the .B.blend with only the front face
selected also had this problem) is that it makes
border selecting the default cube a pain. A typical
scenario for me is to start blender, go into edit mode,
border select some verts and extrude them. If I do this
with the current default setup I get some grotesque
non-manifold shape unless I toggle off the depth test
first. This is why I think it should be turned off by
default. Those who know how to do things beyond the
basic manipulation of a cube will be able to find it
easily on the header when they need it.

> I suspect the decision to turn depth mode and manipulators on by default
> is probably to make blender more new-user-friendly.  Turning them off
> might not be such a good thing from that perspective.  But, what do I
> know. :)

I suspect the decision to have them on by default was
because they were shiny new features at the time.
They are extremely useful in some circumstances, but
the first thing I do when I start blender on a new
scene is to turn them off.

Chris