[Bf-committers] Invitation to the Blender Sprint Innsbruck + possible future Blender project in Innsbruck

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 11:14:15 CEST 2006

> Bring together a group of students and professors from the Department
> of Architecture, Department of Mathematics, Department of Geometry
> and Department of Computer Science, invite a group of (core) Blender
> developers and organize a project where all the "missing" features
> are added.

That sounds quite exciting - I hope that it ends up being done.  It
might be better to do it as a mix between orange and summer of code
format though with the core coders mentoring the CS department from
afar since I suspect that getting core coders down there with free
time will be quite a challenge.

Perhaps a detailed list could be devised first similar to that done
for Plumiferos, or that done for Orange itself - of fairly close to an
exact feature set that is desired.  The integration of the more
powerful Nurbs library was almost completed for the last SoC and could
probably be completed quite quickly (weeks).  For the numerical input
that would seem fairly straight forward and quick addition, just
expanding the capabilities of the 'python console' script - probably a
week of work  (someone like cambo could probably add it in less than a
day... - the week is assuming someone unfamiliar with the code etc.).
For the importers and exporters are they planning to write from
scratch? (quite long process for most arch related formats) or bind
existing libraries.

This page has links to possibly useful format references and libraries

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/File_format_list

The best existing free libraries for architecture and cad related
formats are not GPL compatible but could be used through a python
script.

LetterRip