[Bf-committers] Invitation to the Blender Sprint Innsbruck + possible future Blender project in Innsbruck

Samo Korosec|Blender Sprint Innsbruck sprint at blendersprint.org
Fri Aug 25 11:34:04 CEST 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Tom M wrote:

> That sounds quite exciting - I hope that it ends up being done.  It
> might be better to do it as a mix between orange and summer of code
> format though with the core coders mentoring the CS department from
> afar since I suspect that getting core coders down there with free
> time will be quite a challenge.

Well I guess getting a core coder or two for a few days to give a
proper introduction to the code would be enough, and invite people
generally interested in working on the topics over. If it happens, I
guess one could use the things that we learn to put together a more
formal Blender Development Manual.

But good that you mention the Summer of Code – I'll forward that to
the assistant interested in organising it as a possible way of
structuring the development work.

> Perhaps a detailed list could be devised first similar to that done
> for Plumiferos, or that done for Orange itself - of fairly close to an
> exact feature set that is desired.  The integration of the more
> powerful Nurbs library was almost completed for the last SoC and could
> probably be completed quite quickly (weeks).  For the numerical input
> that would seem fairly straight forward and quick addition, just
> expanding the capabilities of the 'python console' script - probably a
> week of work  (someone like cambo could probably add it in less than a
> day... - the week is assuming someone unfamiliar with the code etc.).
> For the importers and exporters are they planning to write from
> scratch? (quite long process for most arch related formats) or bind
> existing libraries.

I think using libraries could well be enough for a start, yes. But it
would depend on how many developers are interested or availible – the
more there are, the more features can be done directly.

Anyhow, thanks for the infor, I'll forward it to the guy trying to
organize it all!

Samo