[Bf-committers] Invitation to the Blender Sprint Innsbruck + possible future Blender project in Innsbruck

Samo Korosec|Blender Sprint Innsbruck sprint at blendersprint.org
Fri Aug 25 10:26:27 CEST 2006

Hello everyone,

the Blender Sprint date has been set (21.-25.9.2006) – you can now
definitely decide whether to apply for the sprint on not. We are
especially interested in participants with experience with:

- Using Blender in a VR/CAVE environment
- Blender Game Engine
- Blender Python Scripting
- Blender/Verse integration
- Blender core code-base

It’s also possible to only attend for a few days out of the whole
sprint, please read http://blog.blendersprint.org/articles/2006/08/21/
appying-for-the-sprint for more information.

Feel free to contact me directly, should there be any questions.

Now to something different. The Department of Architecture in
Innsbruck has shown interest in switching to Blender for their design
needs. What makes Blender somewhat useless for Architects right now
is the lack of numerical input like they're used from CAD
applications and the lack of proper NURBS support (and some more
minor details like file format support). They know that these are not
trivial to add, so the following idea is being worked on at the moment:

Bring together a group of students and professors from the Department
of Architecture, Department of Mathematics, Department of Geometry
and Department of Computer Science, invite a group of (core) Blender
developers and organize a project where all the "missing" features
are added. This wouldn't be a Sprint but more along the lines of
Project: Orange, lasting two or more months and having a CAD-
development focus instead of an animation one.

The whole thing could be sponsored through the Tyrolean Research
Funds and the relevant department leads have already signaled an
interest and one of the assistants working at the Department of
Architecture is working on a proposal now. The whole thing would
happen around spring 2007 and is somewhat dependent on the shiny-es
of the results we achieve with the Sprint. I was asked to ask the bf-
commiters on whether there is enough interest from the Blender
developer community to actually participate in such a longer project
on-site in Innsbruck.

Thanks for listening and have a nice day!
Samo Korosec