[Bf-committers] SOC Project Ideas?

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 03:00:33 CEST 2006

--- Joe Eagar <joeedh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Doug Ollivier wrote:
> >
> >> This should be done already on its own merits -
> the fact that
> >> Blender's controls don't update in real time is
> quite behind the
> >> times. Event system? But in any case, that's not
> enough. Editing
> >> things that occur in and are related to 3D space,
> like clipping
> >> distances or spot angles should be *done* in 3D
> space.
> Could the transform manipulator code be generlized
> to perform this?
> Actually, I can think of a way to hack it in, just
> add support for
> single-axis-only transform elements, then use the
> manipulator as it is
> to transform some graphical thing drawn by the
> camera and light
> objects.  Or, you could map several camera/light
> properties to different
> transform axises.  But that would probably be an
> inelegant solution.

The transform system already uses custom
transformations for Edge Weight, Curve Tilt and a
couple others, adding more for custom attributes isn't
really a problem nor is it totally inelegant (though I
admit it could very well be better). Even though that
has never been applied to the manipulator, once you
have the actual transformation function done, making a
manipulator is mainly a GUI design issue.

Martin