[Bf-committers] SOC Project Ideas?

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Wed Apr 19 06:18:01 CEST 2006

Doug Ollivier wrote:
> Would 3d painting be a to huge task to do for an SOC?
>
> I have used software called Deep paint 3D,  it was incredibly fast and
> responsive for 3D modelling, I think blender currently tries to save the
> file after each brush stroke (not sure about that though).  I think we
> could make it a lot more responsive (even with basic brushes).  then
> other brushes and things could be added later.
>
> I am not sure what's involved with this project though.

Ton actually suggested an SoC project to speed things up in
this area:

* Recode texture paint not to use OpenGL. A realtime renderer is
desired (for performance reasons) that can update single faces and
render to a bitmap.

> The other project I think would be really important, is some kind of
> measurement and snapping system.  perhaps a scale is also saved into the
> .blend file.

Tom M. also suggested this as "Snapping Framework" & "Dimensioning"
-- to be honest I'm not sure how this differs a) from holding down
the ctrl key to snap to grid; and b) using the "draw edge length",
etc. If either of you could elaborate further, it would be helpful.

Regards,
Chris