[Bf-committers] SOC Project Ideas?

Doug Ollivier doug at mudpuddle.co.nz
Wed Apr 19 06:26:14 CEST 2006

>> The other project I think would be really important, is some kind of
>> measurement and snapping system.  perhaps a scale is also saved into
>> the .blend file.
>
> Tom M. also suggested this as "Snapping Framework" & "Dimensioning"
> -- to be honest I'm not sure how this differs a) from holding down
> the ctrl key to snap to grid; and b) using the "draw edge length",
> etc. If either of you could elaborate further, it would be helpful.

Snap to edge/face (slide the vertex along the edge its snapping to or on
the plane of the face)
Snap to Vert
Snap to Centre (of edge or face....)
Snap to bound box.....
Snap to Normal (so you can move a vert away from an edge along the
normal of the edge its snapping to)

Snapping is more important in CAD packages which don't actually use
Verts as their main construction method,  as then you have functions
like Snap to tangent, snap to curve, snap to centre (of a circle for
example)  snap to quadrant......

blender could still use Snap to curve, snap to tangent... if its
implemented for curves also.  but then blenders snapping would need to
access the original curve, not the drawn curve (which is verts)

dimensioning should be 2d (or rotatable via an angle) and should measure
the distance between two choosen points,  these two choosen points
should be anything from verts to curves to edges....  the measurement
display should then be moveable indipendantly (as an object) with
projection lines going to the two points)  Dimensioning should have
similar properties/panels as fonts/text

Not CAD per-se, but somthing good enough for basic GA's

Doug