[Bf-committers] Bug tracker stats + engine future...

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Mar 25 15:09:00 CET 2005

Hi,

> Ton wrote...
> > What do you mean with the 'easier let it die' alternative? To just
> stick to current status quo?
>
> I think he means that, if the cord was cut between Blender and the
> Blender Game Engine, the number of users would really decrease, and
> the development would probably halt.  If there was a rumbling about
> cutting the games engine from the main distro, I'd say give it until
> the next point release before discussing further.

I'm aware there's some 'con' involved with such a move, but the 'pro'
arguments are not irrelevant either. For example;

- Yafray is in own CVS and distro too. Only parts of our users like
that option, and they got no problem with that. Blender game engine
also is in use by less than 10% of our audience.
- The engine maintainers can release as often they like to.
- The bf-blender releases don't have to wait for engine bugs/problems
solved before a release
- The engine player can then support OpenGL 1.4 or 1.5 simply.
- we can offer an integrated download bundle on blender3d.org for it.

Or in general; there'll be much more freedom to work, for everyone.
Management of the projects will become less complex too. The most
relevant 'cons' are;

- Blender's game logic editor depends on engine specs too. Complex
dependency
- game engine links with blenkernel/ and blenloader/. Changes here
should not break engine all the time. (didn't really happen in past
year though)

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org