[Bf-committers] Ocean Simulator

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Feb 28 17:28:49 CET 2005

Hi,

The Oops system was not meant to become a 'node based' (object
oriented) function editor. The only thing possible to add here is what
I did for the logic editor, a GUI based way to edit data relations (the
buttons that allow drawing connections).

In very ancient days (early nineties) an experiment was done in NeoGeo
with a real "oops", a first version was built to create a calculator
(really!). However, back then the method was rejected, because even a
simple setup already easily results in an confusing and hard to
interpret visual result.

The popularity of such 'nodal' or 'oops' editors is not because it's
such a great GUI concept, but because it's such a nice simple thing for
object-oriented coders to maintain. :)
A reason why it shouldn't be rejected for Blender is that people got
used to it... it's not always bad to make coders life easier, eh!

-Ton-