[Bf-committers] Blender in IPAQ

Daniel Dunbar evilzr at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 19:28:20 CEST 2005

I did the original iPAQ port so I can give some info
on it.

The port was done in earlier days of NaN, code was mostly
similar to pre-venture capital days except some starts at
doing a poor job of dividing the code into modules had
been done.

For compile system I just put all files back in one directory
I think and wrote my own makefiles which was the fastest
way of getting things to work given the mess. To redo
in modern times I assume current build system can be
leveraged. The code was somewhat simpler in those days, so
I have no idea how easy it will be to compile.

For GUI interface this was in GLUT days - it was actually
very easy for me to whip up a minimal GLUT implementation
for iPAQ that provided all the necessary functionality for
Blender. I was also writing the OpenGL so this GLUT implementation
also did the window-system specfic OpenGL stuff (allocate
a GL context, implement SwapBuffers, etc). Redoing now
requires implementing a GHOST lib for iPAQ (not so hard).

I also had to implement some Win32 functions that were not
provide on Windows CE, perhaps the source for this is still
lying around. It was not a lot a functions.

I also made a few hacks to Blender to speed things up, for example
converting game engine meshes to fixed point before handing off
the gl (I added fake fixed point glVertex and so forth calls). This
is not worth repeating, was just useful for the very specific
prototype scenario that was aimed for.

The major work (and the most fun!) was writing an OpenGL lib. I
still have the source and am not opposed to making it available,
although it will come without support. It is reasonably complete
for main OpenGL functionality, but I am sure there are parts of it
I would be embaressed of. It was my first time writing scanline
rendering code and most parts of the actual rendering are not
very high quality; the GL architecture code is somewhat better.
However, it was written under an intense schedule (few weeks) so
don't blame me too much! ;)

For reimplementing now I would probably recommend using a publically
available OpenGL implementation if possible, it may well be of a
higher quality and certainly should be better supported.

That is a long answer to the iPAQ question, the short answer is,
if you want to build it it is possible but will take some real work.
I am not sure if it is worth anything beyond hack value though -
depending on how much you value your time per hour you might just
buy a tiny laptop. ;)