[Bf-committers] Blender in IPAQ

Salvatore Russo salvatore.russo at laposte.net
Wed Apr 6 16:58:18 CEST 2005

Hello,
I posted a few mouth ago something about that subject...
I started to deeply look for porting blender on ipaq, I also asked Ton and Maarten Gribnau. And I received lot of advices and help!
I also posted in a forum (from www.blender.org) all these information to share that with everyone. But today, only the forum on ElYsiun is available. Maybe there is a solution to find this post

The result of all the discussion was that we have first to port Ghost on Pocketpc, then to go ahead.
I started this porting with Visual C++ embedded and I was using for opengl, not opengl ES (implementation open source = http://ogl-es.sourceforge.net/), but klimt http://studierstube.org/klimt/ because it was easier for me to compile Ghost with Klimt.
After having compiled Ghost successfully (with some minor changes), I tested it and of course, it was really not working :=) Given that, these last time, I really had no time anymore, I couldn’t make it work quickly. I am new in all this stuff and before really making Ghost running, I will need time to learn all basic stuff about pocketpc. Alone, it seems to be maybe not impossible but very difficult :=)
I hope this information will help you,
Salvatore

Here some answer from Ton:
I am no expert *at all* on project files. But I can assure you there'll
be a lot of other problems you have to survive for a port;
- You will have to develop a full port for the GHost library. That not
only means a lot of new code, but also sufficient experience with C++
and low level MS Windows CE coding.
- You will need a full functional OpenGL library for the mobile. It is
very likely not all used opengl commands are supported (with any useful
speed or at all).
- support for float or double is very poor on mobiles. For that reason
the engine code itself is very unlikely to be running in any reliable
state.
- Since the last iPAQ port Blender has incorporated a lot of
workstation/pc specific features, ranging from audio libraries to
Freetype font support.
The previous port on iPAQ was done succesfully mainly because the
developer (Daniel Dunbar) had a full understanding of how Blender
works, coded his own opengl (from scratch!), coded this with fixed
point (no floats) math, and coded his own glut stuff. And last but not
least; used the Blender 2.04 code base which was much more portable and
free of C++.
I don't want to discourage you... or no, maybe I better *do* :) ! Such
a project is a major challenge, only to be done succesfully when you
have lotsof time and full understanding already of the full range of
problems you'll encounter.
-Ton-

An answer to my email below:
Hi,
I think your list is pretty much complete. If I were you I wouldn't
remove Radiosity and probably Yafray though, these two modules have
many dependenciesin Blender itself and the render module, and most
likely won't hurt compiling on pocketpc.
-> bmfont you need for bitmap fonts, leave it in
-> leave libpng in too, won't hurt
-> Opennl is for UV unwrapping. Can be left out, but probably will
compile fine
-> just remove all audio dependencies, openal and sdl too
-> VFWindows I don't know...
-Ton-