[Bf-committers] Individual Faces extrude

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Mon Sep 27 00:31:07 CEST 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Campbell Barton wrote:

> Hi joeedh, your probably aware of this but I thaught mabe  I should comment.
>
> Extruding allong the face normal is not always desired, with your patch its
> difficuled not to.
> solution,
> 1) Extrude, then execute and grab.
> 2) Extrude, then use the tab keys for numeric input

What I can add to all this extrude business is:

I think that basically, the new "grab along normal" mode that is invoked
automatically now when extruding faces is a good idea.

But this mode is inconsistent with other modes (grab, scale, rotate, scale
along normals) in that it is not accessible manually within a normal
transform context.

As I do think this mode is useful for other operations, too, I would
suggest reverting (E)xtrude to the normal grab behaviour, and make E
a modifier while transforming (like Campbell suggests).