[Bf-committers] Game engine audio recode

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Mon Dec 27 10:59:02 CET 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Kester Maddock wrote:

> On Monday 27 December 2004 01:25, Alexander Ewering wrote:
>> One problem with this is, of course, that I have no single machine
>> available where the *current* game engine sound works, so I cannot compare
>> the scaling of Volume with distance to the reference files. So that will
>> need some experimenting.
> Go with a physically based law. My physics book* lists it as:
>
> I = P/(4*PI*r*r)
>
> I = output volume
> P = power output of source
> r = distance from source

Alright Kester, thanks :) I'm a Radio Amateur, btw, so I know about
the square attenuation (r*r) of waves with distance from the source.

I should have guessed it applies to sound waves as well :)

I'll bug the list with some more questions later. I'm already as far
as having SDL running in the gameengine and outputting a sawtooth.

If that isn't something! ;)