[Bf-committers] Game engine audio recode

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sun Dec 26 13:50:11 CET 2004

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004, Juan Julio [ISO-8859-1] Peña Mena wrote:

> It seems like I am one of the few ones that get all the sound (loop,
> events, doppler, etc) right on Linux,  so here it wat I got installed
> audio-related.

It doesn't depend on a list of installed packages... But don't ask me
what it depends on :-)

BTW: The problem on my one box where I get sound partially working is
not that *looped* sounds didn't work, but that *non-looped* sounds
don't work, so maybe you got me the wrong way around.

Anyway, I get 0.5 seconds of latency on the whole, and this is
not acceptable, either...

I remember getting a similarly ridiculous latency from UT2003, so
I guess it's a general problem with OpenAL? Maybe it's not even
adjustable. Who knows!

> About the file format.  Why don't you skip MP3 and all it's legal
> problems and go straight to OGG?

I don't know about legal stuff :-) That's something to research for
the BF lawyers then before it gets in the official release ;)