[Bf-committers] IRC Meeting Minutes, 15 Aug, 2004

David Bourguignon bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:30:21 +0200 (CEST)

> IRC Meeting Minutes, 15 Aug, 2004
>
> 2) B-Con 1: possible 2.35 features & roadmap
>
> * softbodies (Ton R/Jensen O.M.)

Hi all,

I missed last IRC meeting, but in a previous one, I said I was willing to
help with the softbodies. Since I have been very busy recently (finding a
job...) I haven't made any progress. According to last meeting minutes, Ton
and Jensen are in charge now, so I just want to give a recap of what I was
thinking about.

I wrote roughly a year ago an overview of softbodies simulation in computer
graphics. It it is part of an heavy (~30 MB) pdf you will find here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/david-m.bourguignon/pub/Bou03/
However, I have put (temporarily) a relevant excerpt here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/david-m.bourguignon/tmp/previous_work.pdf

IMHO, there are two interesting approaches for softbodies in Blender. In
both cases, you need to transform your surface triangular mesh into a volume
tetrahedral mesh by (temporarily) inserting internal vertices. (Not an easy
problem if you want to obtain "nice" tetrahedra, but I think several solutions are
possible.)

* First softbodies approach: discreet model.
A paper on this method is available here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/david-m.bourguignon/pub/BC00/
- Pros: easy to code (extension of mass-spring systems), easy to understand,
easy to tinker with (IMHO, this is very important for artists).
- Cons: rough approximation of the real physical behavior, eg, it is
difficult to obtain quasi-incompressible behavior.
I have to clean the code written for this paper, compile it under linux and
mswin to provide a nice demo. I think I can do this before the end of next
week.

* Second softbodies approach: continuous model.
IMHO, the most relevant paper is:
G. Picinbono, H. Delingette, and N. Ayache. Non-Linear Anisotropic
Elasticity for Real-Time Surgery Simulation. Graphical Models,
65(5):305-321, September 2003.
You can find it here:
ftp://ftp-sop.inria.fr/epidaure/Publications/Delingette/Picinbono-GM03.pdf
- Pros: classical continous mechanics equations solved in a very
efficient way, thus the model is fast and accurate.
- Cons: difficult to tinker with the model without a good continous
mechanics background, and thus potentially difficult to use for artists.

That's all! Sorry for the long post. I welcome any question you may have.

David.

--
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/david-m.bourguignon/