[Bf-committers] Feature Proposal

Theodore Schundler bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 09 Aug 2004 13:05:16 -0700

>>> j.merritt@pgrad.unimelb.edu.au 08/07/04 7:22 PM >>>
> OK, it seems that the "drag functionality" of solidify is actually
> extrusion along surface normals.  This is different from what I'd
> originally read as being a "cap holes" function.

Looking at the images, to get the effect in the picture: In edit mode,
just press E to extrude the object, and immediately press ENTER to not
translate it. Then press S to scale the selected part of the mesh, and
you will get the effect in those screen shots.

But the idea of working along normals in an interesting one, though
implenting it as new type of extrustion doesn't make sense. Instead oit
would be a sort of scaling / shifting along normals. (I guess like the
Push 3DS Plugin referenced) That would come in handy for me a lot in
adding surface details to objects. For example, adding crevices to
complicated shapes (something I've been having a pain with recently)
where extruding a segment and then either scaling it or shifting it just
doesn't work right. Even nicer would be if it could work with
proportional editing for use working on organic shapes.

Functionality for each selected vertex, find the average normal among
the selected faces that share that vertex. Then move all the verticies
along thier respective normal axiis by n blender units, specified by
mouse movement or manual entry.

Anyways, just figured I'd add my thoughts on this idea. If only I had
time to play with coding this sort of stuff...

Ted

This message scanned for viruses and SPAM by GWGuardian at SCU (MGW1)