[Bf-committers] Re: Linux + Blender faq

Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:41:19 +0200

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the work, it's very readable, even for non-linux users. :)
I have one remark though;

> On most Linux distros the OpenGL drivers used are  the =A8MESA GLX =20
> Indirect=A8 driver, which is OK for general work, but isn't precisely =20=

> the best choice for 3D work.  Check if your graphic card maker =20
> provides Linux drivers for your card. By replacing the general =20
> Indirect MESA driver with a driver made specifically for your card you =
=20
> could see speed increases up to 400% (my own experience) or maybe > =
more.

I support GSR's remark on his statement. DRI drivers are a Linux user's =20=

choice, especially when they prefer to use non-proprietary software on =20=

their system. Some people strive for a 100% free operating system, no =20=

reason to make biased remarks on that in our FAQ.

Thanks,

-Ton-

--
Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton@blender.org =20