[Bf-committers] Re: Linux + Blender faq

Juan J. Pena Mena bf-committers@blender.org
01 Aug 2004 13:06:40 -0400

--=-yyQwz8pzsRm91n8FfE4O

--=-rI9oiajD8aUZXOxPbhVM

Based on received input this is the expanded (still WIP) linux faq.
Please keep the feedback comming.

My goal is having the faq ready for inclusion with the 2.34 release.

Apollux.

--=-rI9oiajD8aUZXOxPbhVM

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Based on received input this is the expanded (still WIP) linux faq.&nbsp; Please keep the feedback comming.<BR>
<BR>
My goal is having the faq ready for inclusion with the 2.34 release.<BR>
<BR>
Apollux.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--=-rI9oiajD8aUZXOxPbhVM--

--=-yyQwz8pzsRm91n8FfE4O

Linux Blender FAQ

General
What is different in Blender for Linux, compared to Blender for other platf=
orms?
Is there any advantage of running Blender on Linux?
Blender is running way to slow on Linux, why?
Do I need any particular window manager or graphic desktop to run Blender?
How do I find out if I'm using acceleration for my graphic card?
How will my graphic card behave with Blender and Linux?
If I make a .blend file in Linux, can it be opened in other platforms?

Installing
Do I need root access to install Blender?
Why there isn't an automated installer?
How do I install Blender on my Linux system?
Why are Hot-Keys not working the way they should?
What does these error messages mean? =20
	=C2=A8Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>=C2=A8=20
	=C2=A8Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>=C2=A8=20
	=C2=A8Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]=C2=A8=20
	=C2=A8'import site' failed; use -v for traceback=C2=A8
	=C2=A8sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.=C2=A8

More Information
Where do I find more information?
I have some contributions for this document, how do contact the FAQ maintai=
ner?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -=20
GENERAL

* What is different in Blender for Linux, compared to Blender for other pla=
tforms?

On the Windows version there is a button on the GUI (on the top bar) for sw=
itching between window mode and full screen mode. On the Linux version ther=
e isn't such button and, by default, Blender starts in full screen mode. To=
 start Blender in window mode you should use the -w option: =C2=A8./blender=
 -w=C2=A8

On the Windows version you can render your animations to video files alread=
y compressed with the CODECs installed on your computer (there is an option=
 for this on the rendering buttons), but at the time of this writing, under=
 Linux, you can only use the MPEG codec or no codec at all. For further vid=
eo compression you would need to render your animations to an uncompressed =
file, and then use another program to do any needed video compression; or r=
ender your animations to sequenced image files and use a video composition =
software to create the final video file. (By taking this last route you cou=
ld do all the actual rendering on Linux and only do the final video composi=
tion using Blender for other platform).

In the near future, a .zip file containing the basic Python libraries will =
be distributed alongside the Windows version of Blender (thus, on most case=
s doing a full Python install would not be necessary for running complex sc=
ripts).  On Linux you are required to do a full Python install if you want =
to run complex  scripts (but there is pretty high chance that Python is alr=
eady installed on your computer, since Python is a defacto component on mos=
t Linux distros).

* Is there any advantage of running Blender on Linux?

Yes, specially on the speed department. May users (including myself) has re=
ported that Blender loads and renders noticeable faster on Linux than in ot=
her OSs.  Please take note that no matter what  operating system you are us=
ing, rendering from the command line is (on 99% of the cases) faster than r=
endering from the GUI.

Besides, considering consumed computer resources, Linux puts a lighter load=
 on your CPU, thus leaving more free resources to be used for actual 3D wor=
k.

* Blender is running way to slow on Linux, why?

Blender uses OpenGL for all it's GUI drawing operations, so having an OpenG=
L accelerated graphic card truly does a difference when it comes to GUI res=
ponse time. =20

On most Linux distros the OpenGL drivers used are  the =C2=A8MESA GLX Indir=
ect=C2=A8 driver, which is OK for general work, but isn't precisely the bes=
t choice for 3D work.  Check if your graphic card maker provides Linux driv=
ers for your card. By replacing the general Indirect MESA driver with a dri=
ver made specifically for your card you could see speed increases up to 400=
% (my own experience) or maybe more.

Nvidia, Ati and many other graphic card manufacturers provide Linux drivers=
 for their cards.

* Do I need any particular window manager or graphic desktop to run Blender=
?

No, as long as you have a working X system (Xorg/Xfree86/etc) and a OpenGL =
driver (see next question) you should be fine. There is no difference from =
using KDE, GNOME or whatever your desktop manager might be.

* How do I find out if I'm using acceleration for my graphic card?

Within Blender, open a new text window and type in this:

from Blender.BGL import *=20
print "GL Vendor  ", glGetString(GL_VENDOR)=20
print "GL Renderer", glGetString(GL_RENDERER)=20
print "GL Version ", glGetString(GL_VERSION)

Now press Alt-P or click on File -> Run Python Script. Go to your console a=
nd see what is written over there. If you find something like:

=C2=A8Mesa GLX Indirect=20
Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org=20
1.3 Mesa 4.0.4=C2=A8

then you are not using acceleration for your graphic card (noticed the =C2=
=A8Indirect=C2=A8 word?).  On the other hand, if you get something like:

=C2=A8GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X/AGP/SSE2=20
NVIDIA Corporation=20
1.4.0 NVIDIA 43.63=C2=A8

or like:

=C2=A8GeForce2 MX/PCI/3DNOW!=20
NVIDIA Corporation=20
1.3.1 NVIDIA 31.23=C2=A8

or even like:

=C2=A8GL Vendor VA Linux Systems, Inc.=20
GL Renderer Mesa DRI Voodoo3 20010501 x86/MMX/3DNow!=20
GL Version 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2=C2=A8

it means that you are using a real accelerated graphic driver.

* Why are they 2 versions of Blender for Linux? What does the static/dynami=
c mean?

Actually there are 4 versions of Blender for Linux, two for x386 processors=
 and two for PowerPC processors.  For each processor family we have dynamic=
 and statics flavors available. (2 x 2 =3D 4).

On a static build, all the system dependencies needed to run Blender are in=
cluded, even a software based OpenGL environment. So if you are having depe=
ndencies errors or you are unable to find a proper OpenGL driver for your g=
raphic card the static build should run on your system. You should consider=
 a static built as a trouble-shooting/worst case scenario option.

On a dynamic build, the dependencies are not included, so Blender will use =
the libraries already installed and available on your system. Also, Blender=
 will use any OpenGL accelerated driver that it might find on your system. =
Generally speaking, a dynamic build should be preferred over a static build=
.

Always make sure, despite your static or dynamic choice, to download the ve=
rsion that match your processor. If you have an Intel, AMD or Cyrix process=
or you should go with the x386 version. If you have a Mackintosh (or one of=
 those rare Motorola CPUs) then you should go with the PPC version.

* How will my graphic card behave with Blender and Linux?

The best way to know is looking the testimonials of other users with the sa=
me/similar graphic cards as yours.  Go and take a look into the official Bl=
ender OpenGL/GFx database located at http://blender.org/modules/gfxdatabase=
/=20

* If I make a .blend file in Linux, can it be opened in other platforms?

Yes. Every .blend made in any platform should open in any other platform. I=
f you ever come across a .blend file that opens OK in a platform but won't =
open on another platform then you have officially found a bug and we would =
be most interested in hearing about it on our Bug tracker, located at http:=
//projects.blender.org/tracker/?atid=3D125&group_id=3D9&func=3Dbrowse

INSTALLING

* Do I need root access to install Blender?

No. If you install Blender under your home directory it would run just fine=
. =20

However, just like with any Linux program, installing the needed dependenci=
es might (like in =C2=A8could happen but is not sure=C2=A8) need root acces=
s.

* Why there isn't an automated installer?

Because the install process is so easy that even a 2 years old kid could do=
 it.=20

Besides, distro makers sometimes make funky decisions about where to put wh=
at on their Linux version. So to be safe a manual install is the best choic=
e (remember that I said it is a really easy process).

* How do I install Blender on my Linux system?

Short answer: the file you downloaded is a compressed folder, just uncompre=
ss it and run the blender executable from that directory.=20

Long answer: (not fully written, in the meanwhile read at http://www.blende=
r.org/modules/documentation/htmlI/c217.html )

* Why are Hot-Keys not working the way they should?

Most window manager programs trap user's key events and analyze them before=
 sending to the running program.  If the pressed hotkey is already assigned=
 on the window manager it will never make it into the running program.=20

In other words, if you have a particular keyboard combination defined on yo=
ur window manager, and Blender uses that same keyboard combination as a hot=
key, the one defined on the window manager will prevail.  KDE's window mana=
ger default configuration is known to have more than a few collisions with =
Blender's hotkeys.=20

Until  the time comes when all Blender hotkeys are user configurable, your =
2 only choices are going into your Window Manger configuration and disablin=
g or re-directing the offending hotkey; or trying to substitute the trouble=
maker hotkey with it's GUI counterpart (witch is not always feasible).

To access KDE's hot-key editor go into Control Center -> Regional Settings =
and Accessibility -> Keyboard Quick Access.=20

* What does these error messages mean? =20
	=C2=A8Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>=C2=A8=20
	=C2=A8Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>=C2=A8=20
	=C2=A8Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]=C2=A8=20
	=C2=A8'import site' failed; use -v for traceback=C2=A8
	=C2=A8sys_init:warning - no sitedirs added from site module.=C2=A8

-- Waiting for imput regarding this one --
--=-yyQwz8pzsRm91n8FfE4O--