[Bf-committers] Re: Linux + Blender faq

Juan J. Pena Mena bf-committers@blender.org
01 Aug 2004 13:58:13 -0400

--=-fPXeHZ+GSNN0D7Z4ERNT

> I support GSR's remark on his statement. DRI drivers are a Linux user's
> choice, especially when they prefer to use non-proprietary software on
> their system. Some people strive for a 100% free operating system, no
> reason to make biased remarks on that in our FAQ.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ton-

I felt like it should be mentioned:  With the Mesa drivers that came on
RH9, I got a steady 2.1 fps on the game engine, after installing the
official Nvidia drivers I get a steady 65 fps on the blender game
engine  (tested on the e-cop game demo with a Gforce4 Ti 4200).

Maybe the paragraph could be re-written so that I sounds less biased,
but the fact that (on some times) you could get much better performance
by substituting the Mesa drivers remain true and it would be negligence
not letting the user to know it.

Apollux.

--=-fPXeHZ+GSNN0D7Z4ERNT

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT SIZE="3"></FONT><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
<PRE><FONT COLOR="#737373" SIZE="3"><I>I support GSR's remark on his statement. DRI drivers are a Linux user's
choice, especially when they prefer to use non-proprietary software on
their system. Some people strive for a 100% free operating system, no
reason to make biased remarks on that in our FAQ.

Thanks,

-Ton-
</I></FONT></PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
I felt like it should be mentioned:&nbsp; With the Mesa drivers that came on RH9, I got a steady 2.1 fps on the game engine, after installing the official Nvidia drivers I get a steady 65 fps on the blender game engine&nbsp; (tested on the e-cop game demo with a Gforce4 Ti 4200).<BR>
<BR>
Maybe the paragraph could be re-written so that I sounds less biased, but the fact that (on some times) you could get much better performance by substituting the Mesa drivers remain true and it would be negligence not letting the user to know it.<BR>
<BR>
Apollux.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>