[Bf-committers] Planning!

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:25:01 +0100

Hi,

Here's a quick summary of sunday's IRC session:

- Although the UI project is not finished, there's sufficient progress
to go for a 2.30 release. To not raise the expectations too high we'll
clearly communicate that there's still work going on, and that upcoming
2.3x releases will provide further steps.

- my suggestion to name it 2.30-pre 2.31-pre etc. until we declare the
UI project final was no consensis on... most people confirmed this
naming convention means something else, and will give too much
confusement. In the docs, at website, splash, release notes, we can all
point to it.

- I've explained the backgrounds of my rush, the coding tornado the
past weeks, and the urge to get 2.30 out a.s.a.p. Main reason is the
2.3 manual, which is being produced now, and which will provide
essential revenue to get the bills paid here. Around the 2.3 release I
want to announce another community campaign as well, to target for 1000
manuals sold before Xmas! First 250 copies ordered & paid will get it
signed. :-)

- After the conference, I will work with the manual author (Stefano,
S68) on getting details fixed. Especially to make sure that what the
book writes is actually in Blender. During that period also screenshots
will be made.
The result will be - also based on working on bugreports from users - a
2.31 release, to accompany the book. I hope everyone can also
contribute to this bug fixing, and finetuning and polishing of
important details.

- After that, about third week of november, we can pick up the next
stage for UI, and all other projects that need to be done.

- To make it all feasible, I'll have to work quick and need freedom to
make quick decisions as well. I need your support and backup on that
during the next weeks. :)

So! For 2.30 this is the plan:

-> test & test of course!
-> only commit real bug fixes. Verify with me when in doubt
-> I'll commit some more code, but only on polishing stuff (make sure
2.30 does what 2.28 could)
-> wednesday evening COMPLETE FREEZE! Then also the splash will be
finished
-> when I signal 'go' platform managers can start compiling. Time for
it all thursday.
-> if the main versions are ready thursday evening, we'll release.
Otherwise it'll be friday.

Thanks,

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org