[Bf-committers] Re: Blender installation, misc comments ( was: Re: Meeting notes sun may 18)

Christian Plessl bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 13:55:02 +0200

> It is partially true what you propose. But there are also user settings
> that will go to $HOME/.blender... so that directory will be created
> anyway. Currently there are three .Bxxxx files already in the $HOME.
> Because we expect more local help files (for example python) we decided
> to move it all to a directory .blender.
>
> Officially translation files should be installed in a system directory.
> For Linux the /usr/share/ could be the right location... but that's
> platform dependent. Other OS's have different standards, and it is not
> always correct to assume a user has (root) access to system
> directories. To avoid making it all too complex now, we better stick
> with a single installation directory ($HOME/.blender) now.

Agreed.

But I think, it should be discussed, what good directory structures for
blender would look like.

In particular I think its important to have a good way to handle the
installation of plugins and scripts. There should be an easy way to
install/uninstall/upgrade plugins and scripts.

Regards,
 Christian