[Bf-committers] Blender installation, misc comments ( was: Re: Meeting notes sun may 18)

Wed, 28 May 2003 10:59:44 +0200

Hi,

It is partially true what you propose. But there are also user settings
that will go to $HOME/.blender... so that directory will be created
anyway. Currently there are three .Bxxxx files already in the $HOME.
Because we expect more local help files (for example python) we decided
to move it all to a directory .blender.

Officially translation files should be installed in a system directory.
For Linux the /usr/share/ could be the right location... but that's
platform dependent. Other OS's have different standards, and it is not
always correct to assume a user has (root) access to system
directories. To avoid making it all too complex now, we better stick
with a single installation directory ($HOME/.blender) now.

I rather have people working now on end-user functionality, something
that can be simply tested and supported, than conforming too much to
local OS dependent conventions.

-Ton-