[Bf-committers] restore Game Engine project

Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:45:07 +0200

Hi Kester, Saluk,

Jeez, you gave some reading to do with all these postings while I was
in Siggraph!
Although experiments & improvements in the engine are more than
welcome, I would like to treat this topic from the 'official release'
perspective.

Hopefully you're both interested to work for the upcoming releases? In
that case we have to define a roadmap for how to continue with  the
engine first. Input on that would be more than welcome.

We still have the Solid-coming-back topic hanging around. I can't
confirm the official release date, but the publisher told me it will be
end of the month. Even with that date shifting a month, it could be
about time to make the Solid 3.5 binaries available for first test.

I would propose to work in the following steps:

- first bring back Solid in current code. Test fitness & compatibility
with 2.25 release.
- if thats a feasible short project, release a version!
- make final decision on how engine will be continued. Like:
   - with or without Solid 3.5?
   - move to ODE physics? (solve compatibility)
   - make engine separate binary, or plugin to blender?
   - what to do with web player?

When compatiblity breaks (because of ODE), we can just move to a 2.30
release... which is about to come anyway!

What were your thoughts on this?

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org