[Bf-committers] Gforge & feedback

Gilles J. Seguin bf-committers@blender.org
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:54:44 -0500

Kent Mein wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > We've managed (well, thanks Stefan!) to get Gforge running at
> > blender.org.
> > Check the work in progress here: http://projects.blender.org
> >
> > It is a fork of SourceForge, more info at their site; http://gforge.org.
> >
> > Our efforts to use SourceForge's quite messy code have not resulted in
> > something that works yet, with Gforge we're slowly getting optimistic
> > again.
> >
> > Seeing the current state of affairs here, we should move to gforge
> > a.s.a.p. For that I would like to see some feedback here. What shall we
> > do, how, who?
> > To tease your creativity a bit an idea:
> >
> > - we start with separate windows, osx, linux, irix, etc. projects to
> > start with. :-)
> >

> I think were beyond separating the projects.
> Both with the old makefiles and the new, I think splitting it off now
> is just going to make things more difficult later on.

I agree

> I've personally compiled it on linux, and solaris with both systems.

For Linux peoples, the last sentence means, make a release with
mention for developpers.  Others platforms will catch on later.
I will like to see tests and regression tests on parts or modules.

> And I've recently installed freebsd and am going to try compiling it
> there.  While we seem to fight a bit on the mailing list a lot of
> headway has been made.  I don't really see the benefits of splitting
> it up, what would we gain?  Is there anyone out there that feels like
> the current system is holding them back from improving it?

I find strange, that with all targets that we have,
we do not see more RFC's(request for comment).
You do not like how something work.  Propose something.