[Bf-committers] Current Build, and other things

Kent Mein bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:57:15 -0600

> Some questions:
> - why does the automake system try to compile a dynamic library of
> libfrozen?  Where's the stuff to *disable* this?  I want as much of it
> to be statically linked as is possible (the Apple OpenGL framework
> notwithstanding).

--enable-blenderstatic will eventually do this if it doesn't already.
I haven't played with it to make sure its working.  The idea being that
you could do it both ways.

> - what are the .lo files?  I'm seeing a tonne of extensions here that I
> don't recognize, and some really downright *funky* things in the make
> process.  I'm only an intermediate gcc person, but I've been compiling
> linux software for years and never run across the .lo extension, or a
> lot of the flags used on the various modules.

They are libtool libraries.  Supposidly libtool makes it easyer to build
platform independant librarys, were running into some issues specifically
with the irix machines and we may have to scratch this in the future.

> - Why aren't all the requisite libs precompiled in CVS?  At this stage
> of the game we shouldn't be relying on fink.  Since the libs are
> (mostly) GPL'd, we should simply include precompiled binaries in CVS
> for developers...

Because not alot of people have taken the time to add them.  This is a
bit lower on the todo list than getting it to build nicely for everyone.

Kent
--
mein@cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein