[Bf-committers] Current Build, and other things

Charles Wardlaw bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:46:35 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I'm running OS X 10.22 on an iBook 500 with
the july 2002 developer tools that came with OS X, and the latest
packages of libjpeg, libopenssl, libpng, and v2.2 of python.  I'm using
automake 2.52, which seems to work fine...

Some interesting things have been said on the list in the short time
I've been watching.  I will say that I like the autoconf system (IMHO
it's always been the most elegant when porting between Unix distros).
With the exception that I'm currently having difficulty building
libfrozen (keep getting messages about the __TEXT__ tag in object files
being duplicated -- I think it's trying to build a dynlib, which it
shouldn't), and the fact that a lot of things are hard-coded into
project files (Project Builder on OS X still looks in fink's /sw/*
directories for libs, etc), things have certainly gotten better.

Some questions:
- why does the automake system try to compile a dynamic library of
libfrozen?  Where's the stuff to *disable* this?  I want as much of it
to be statically linked as is possible (the Apple OpenGL framework
notwithstanding).

- what are the .lo files?  I'm seeing a tonne of extensions here that I
don't recognize, and some really downright *funky* things in the make
process.  I'm only an intermediate gcc person, but I've been compiling
linux software for years and never run across the .lo extension, or a
lot of the flags used on the various modules.

- Why aren't all the requisite libs precompiled in CVS?  At this stage
of the game we shouldn't be relying on fink.  Since the libs are
(mostly) GPL'd, we should simply include precompiled binaries in CVS
for developers...

- Charles Wardlaw