[Bf-blender-npr] textured strokes in Freestyle

Tamito KAJIYAMA rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Apr 21 06:49:13 CEST 2014

Hi Terry,

 >> What remains as a question for now is where to put texture-related
 >> options in the GUI. At the moment, all texture options for Freestyle
 >> strokes are in the Properties window > Render Layers tab > Freestyle
 >> Line Style panel > newly added "Textures" tab. I personally found this
 >> location intuitive, because everything related to Freestyle is available
 >> within the Freestyle Line Style panel.
 >
 > I agree with this placement as the more intuitive choice.

Cool, thanks for the support.

 >> An obvious alternative is to move the Freestyle texture options to the
 >> Properties window > Textures tab. This solution seems more consistent
 >> with other texture options available in Blender (for materials, worlds
 >> and brushes).
 >
 > I actually think this is a UI design problem in Blender -- there is a
weird
 > state-sensitive behavior for the "Textures" tab in the Properties
window, in
 > that where it goes depends on what tab you had clicked previously, e.g.:
 >
 > "World", "Textures"   -> Texture for World background
 > "Material", "Textures" -> Texture for currently-selected object
 >
 > I don't think any other tabs in Blender behave like that; it takes some
 > getting used to; and I think it contributes to errors / lost time
even after
 > I've learned it.

I fully agree with the observation that the present way of context-
dependent switching between Properties tabs is very confusing. It's
a pity if Freestyle has to add another level of complexity to the
already complicated UI components.

I guess core Blender developers are aware of this UI design problem
and have accepted it (at least for now). It would be nice if the
proposed inclusion of textured strokes into Blender triggers a UI
revision to address the problem from a more general perspective.
I would definitely try to get some of the core Blender developers
involved in this discussion.

Best regards,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp>