[Bf-blender-npr] textured strokes in Freestyle

Terry Hancock lunatics.ml14 at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Apr 21 03:46:45 CEST 2014

 Tamito KAJIYAMA wrote:
> What remains as a question for now is where to put texture-related
> options in the GUI. At the moment, all texture options for Freestyle
> strokes are in the Properties window > Render Layers tab > Freestyle
> Line Style panel > newly added "Textures" tab. I personally found this
> location intuitive, because everything related to Freestyle is available
> within the Freestyle Line Style panel.

I agree with this placement as the more intuitive choice.

> An obvious alternative is to move the Freestyle texture options to the
> Properties window > Textures tab. This solution seems more consistent
> with other texture options available in Blender (for materials, worlds
> and brushes).

I actually think this is a UI design problem in Blender -- there is a weird
state-sensitive behavior for the "Textures" tab in the Properties window, in
that where it goes depends on what tab you had clicked previously, e.g.:

"World", "Textures"   -> Texture for World background
"Material", "Textures" -> Texture for currently-selected object

I don't think any other tabs in Blender behave like that; it takes some
getting used to; and I think it contributes to errors / lost time even after
I've learned it.

If you add

"Render Layers", "Textures" -> Texture for currently selected lineset

It will just add more clutter to an already confusing UI decision.

I actually would like to see the Textures panel made into separate subpanels
for the tabs in question so that the hierarchy makes more sense.

I suppose an alternative would be to use a selector under Texture, like the
one in the node editor window that tells which node system (or texture in this
case) that you want to work with. But I think it's very confusing that you
just have to remember the context in which you clicked on the tab.

Cheers,
Terry

--
Terry Hancock