[Verse-dev] Miscellaneous issues regarding Connector, Loq Airou, the Gimp plugin and PyVerse

Brecht Van Lommel verse-dev@blender.org
12 Mar 2004 01:15:58 +0000

Hi,

>   I have Gimp 1.3. I've compiled the plugin, against old verse. Seems to
> work well both under CVS Verse and old Verse. But when connected to an
> old Verse server, it makes Connector hang up when trying to display the
> bitmap node. When connected to a CVS Verse server (to do that I have to
> issue the command as ./connector > /dev/null to skip the non printable
> characters) it doesn't crash, but the image appears pink. Is that
> normal?

It's not normal, but Connector also has problems with the bitmap node
here. Compositor on the other hand seems to handle them well. I don't
think I can't remember Connector displaying any Gimp-plugin created
image. So we definitely have a bug somewhere.

> I have compiled PyVerse against old Verse library. I've written an
> almost trivial OBJ loader, but I don't know why when it uploads an OBJ
> to the server (old Verse server), the object appears... in a WHITE
> material, so it's very difficult to notice it except by looking how it
> occludes the representations ob another objects in the background.

An object created in Loq Airou looks blue in Connector on my computer.
Try looking at the server/client debug output to see where the commands
you send to the server are different.

> ANd I don't know yet how to manage material object on PyVerse, what is the
> equivalent of the VMatFrag structure on pyverse...

Material fragments are handled somewhat differently in PyVerse. In
python you have classes like VMFLight, VMFOutput. I've put the python
version of the verse tutorial online, which was included in an earlier
mail I sent here.
http://users.pandora.be/blendix/verse/tutorial.py

> Well, that's all, I like so much the overall Verse concept, and I'll
> be struggling to get the grasp of it and make some apps..

That's good news :).

Cheers,
Brecht