[Bf-python] EditMesh selection modes

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Tue Jan 17 15:16:09 CET 2006

Hi Toni,

Toni Alatalo wrote:
 > in Blender itself it is a property of Scene, not Window, and certainly
 > not Mesh.

Ken also suggested adding it to Scene, since it's per scene, even though
that does not follow our old guideline: trying to organize things in
modules according to their type: general ob stuff in Object, specific
mesh stuff in NMesh (now Mesh), etc.

These in Blender belong to scenes because scenes are the general
container and Blender itself doesn't have specific containers for
(general) mesh data, etc.

There are issues with both adding it to Mesh (it's per scene) and to
Scene (API "pollution", with time and more features added, things can
get quite messy).

Minor: yep, those names:

scene.selectVertex
scene.selectEdge
scene.selectFace

also don't seem particularly clear (readable) to me, they don't make me
think about those small mesh selection mode buttons.

Well, no consensus yet, seems each one has a different opinion. Let's
discuss a little more. We'll stumble upon similar issues (design vs.
staying close to Blender code) in other parts of the rewrite, so we can
benefit from talking about it.

(Stephen, our API cop, must be heard ;) ).

PS: Anyway, whatever the decision is for now, like everything else this
can be changed for the reworked API, of course.

--
Willian