[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 103, Issue 8

marco ardito ardito at apiform.to.it
Thu Oct 3 14:24:10 CEST 2013

Il 03/10/2013 13:48, Mirek Kučera Quark66 ha scritto:
> ... I have only 10 fingers and half an hour daily.. it is not so much
> free time. My mission is to close translation during Christmas2013)
good luck! The tough work of wiki translators is that a wiki is (by its
nature) always changing...

> New version of wiki? It is great idea. I would like to send a topic
> for naiad theme developer - if is possible to make a right panel with
> hide button, Or movable, orr if user can switch it on/of (because of
> there is original names of files, e.g. english).

one possible workarond for now is to force the right panel to hide
itself (it's kind of responsive), by
- resizing browser window unde 1230 px wide
- zooming text in browser window, until it hides (for me i nFF it hides,
if zoom increased with  "CTRL+", after 5 zoom actions.

> I keep wiki stardards e.g. original file names ( orig/paths/),
> original structure of text, original pictures .. Translations have
> 90-110% words as original. But in some cases I need to use double
> words especially in menu with english original because of possible
> misconception. For instance MESH is "siť" in czech - but "siť" is
> NETWORK in english :-)  MESH MODEL is "sitovy model" and this is the
> same as "wired model" (e.g.build from "wires". Wire is more popular
> and more "visible" than "network" for modeller...).
yes it's difficult, also in Italian, my native language. The best thing
would be always use english/translated terms but it's really difficult.

one thing I found in another web app, moodle, could be really useful
here, I think, for this kind of problem:
Moodle is an online course software (FLOSS)
One of the resources for students in moodle is a glossary: an admin can
enable a feature called auto-linking, which makes (obviously) an
automatic link when a user adds a word, in course content, which has a
glossary definition...

I recently compelted the moodle MOOC and this is my "practice course",
where you can see this behaviour "in action"
My practice course was about learning Blender, of course!

http://learn.moodle.net/course/view.php?id=646 (it's public but highly
incomplete! It will be deleted next year...)

in the "Introduction: What is Blender?" section there is a phrase like:
<<Nice examples of what you can create with Blender, through the process
of Rendering
<http://learn.moodle.net/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=646&eid=5786&displayformat=dictionary>!>>

the "Rendering" link is automatically created, because before I created
a glossary definition about that word.
you can try to click it and you will get a small window over there, with
the definition explained (and it's recursive!)

http://learn.moodle.net/mod/glossary/view.php?id=27795

"Rendering" glossary term says:
<<Rendering is the process of generating an image from a model (or
models in what collectively could be called a /scene/ file), by means of
computer programs. Also, the results of such a model can be called a
rendering.>>

see also: http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Glossary_auto-linking_filter

That would help english peple to undersand english tech terms but could
help also english people to understand 3D concepts and definitions... I
think. Anyway, it's cool!

--
*Marco*

[Ai sensi e per  gli  effetti della Legge sulla tutela della privacy
(L. 196/2003), questa  mail  è destinata unicamente alle persone sopra
indicate e le informazioni in essa contenute sono da considerarsi
strettamente riservate. E' proibito leggere, copiare, usare o
diffondere il contenuto della presente mail senza autorizzazione.
Se avete ricevuto questo messaggio per errore, siete pregati di
rispedire la stessa al mittente. Grazie]