[Bf-docboard] Suggestions to improve wiki useability

Fade fade_docboard_blender at ymail.com
Sun Jan 13 01:41:01 CET 2013

So I made some test pages with a few of the suggestions people have been
making. I'm aware it's only a few of the possibilities ;-)

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Fade/Doc:2.6/format_test1
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Fade/Doc:2.6/format_test2
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Fade/Doc:2.6/format_test3
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Fade/Doc:2.6/format_test4

One thing I noticed regarding the UI term/options on its own line
suggestion that Jared made below is that it's very dependant on window
width. I tried this on the test3 and test4 pages for the Drawing
Settings section of the Shared Grease Pencil Settings bit. It looks good
when the centre column is reasonably narrow (~1000px wide), but looks
very awkward when viewed fullscreen (1920x1080).

I look the look of test4 the best, but only when the centre column is
narrow.  test2 works better for me overall since it reads easier when
the center column is both wide and narrow. I'm in two minds about the
3-column layout at the moment, I like the look but find that I never use
the links on the right and left hand sides. The left hand side is only
useful when you know where you're going (and it's slower than just going
back to the main page). Likewise for the right hand side, I don't think
I've ever clicked on anything there. It's quicker to scan the page for
the headings.

Regarding links: agree on the brighter blue. Plus I'm also in favour of
having the links visibly separate from the text to help them stand out
further.

Lastly, Cal's mentioned the numbers for the headings, but I've never
seen these on the wiki (using Firefox 17.0.1 on Arch Linux). Does anyone
know what the expected behaviour is for mediawiki?

Regards
Fade