[Bf-docboard] Suggestions to improve wiki useability

Jared Reisweber jaredr122 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:51:48 CET 2013

Here are my suggestions for improved formatting:

   - Literals: UI items should be *bold, *or  *bold+italic*). Bold stands
   out better than *italic *alone
   - Links: brighter blue to help them stand out
   - Indent text/headings under ==heading 2== to better separate sections.
   - Increase size of ==heading 2== to make it more separate from
   ===heading 3===
   - Add a bar/background color to headings ?

Recommendations for consistent formatting:

   - One =heading 1= per page, as recommended in the Mediawiki documentation
   - Describe UI items/options with a clear separation between the word and
   the description
      - Term on its own line, and the decsriptions on next line, indented
      - *Not bulleted*. Visually interferes with the word itself, and is
      consistent with most of the manual and other manuals
      - Bullets are only for examples/lists of things
   - Numbered lists for explanation of steps
   - Omit unnecessary sub-headings, like ==Description==. (It should be
   assumed that what is written is a description).

I did a quick mock up a page style idea. SImple, but I think effective.
Open to feedback:
http://www.artofjared.com/content/wikiFormatting.html

To answer your question Cal, I felt that it was maybe too simplified. I
think removing unnecessary sub-headings is good, but not all of them, Also,
I think UI items should remain formatted. I have mixed feelings about
boxes/RefBoxes. They are ugly, but do serve an important function. Maybe
they could be reworked into something better looking, but not removed. I
agree that simplification is good, but we shouldn't over simplify.