[Bf-docboard] Suggestions to improve wiki useability

Kesten Broughton solarmobiletrailers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:42:14 CET 2013

another major factor to consider is having the formatting compatible with
mobile devices.  It is quite terrible right now with long sentences not
being word wrapped so you have to scroll for miles and then scroll back
when the sentence ends.

Ok, so we have lots of ideas for improvements.  I'm wondering if we should
strike a committee to accept, organize and review proposals and present the
findings in a few weeks.

kesten

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Jared Reisweber <jaredr122 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'd like to chime in, as an editor who has seen a lot of wiki pages,
> I don't completely agree with your level of simplification, but I agree
> that some of the wiki formatting is distracting and hard to read. I think
> the bigger problem is the inconsistency of the use of formatting, which
> stems from the fact that there is no real standard for the way pages are
> formatted (for example, when to use bullets, or what should be bold, or
> when to make a sub-heading). I think we should decide on some standards
> that would encompass anything that would be in the manual.
>
> The second problem is the actual formatting. It is hard to read. I had
> suggested to Kesten about the use of indentation, which is fairy common in
> documentation that I've seen. I also am in favor of color formatting(see
> Autodesk's documentation). I think in addition to standardizing formatting,
> we need to revise the formatting style so that it makes pages easier to
> read and understand. I'm thinking these things should be discussed
> thoroughly before going and changing all the manual pages.
>
> Here are some examples from Houdini's documentation, which is easy to read:
>
> http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/model/polys
> http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/light/shadows
>

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Cal McGaugh <cal at cal3d.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>>  Well this is embarrassing......meant it only for Keston for now......my
>> apologies.
>>
>>  But would appreciate any feedback from the group as well.
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>  Cal McGaugh (noob)

Kesten Broughton
President and Technology Director,