[Bf-docboard] Suggestions to improve wiki useability

Jared Reisweber jaredr122 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 07:54:43 CET 2013

I'd like to chime in, as an editor who has seen a lot of wiki pages,
I don't completely agree with your level of simplification, but I agree
that some of the wiki formatting is distracting and hard to read. I think
the bigger problem is the inconsistency of the use of formatting, which
stems from the fact that there is no real standard for the way pages are
formatted (for example, when to use bullets, or what should be bold, or
when to make a sub-heading). I think we should decide on some standards
that would encompass anything that would be in the manual.

The second problem is the actual formatting. It is hard to read. I had
suggested to Kesten about the use of indentation, which is fairy common in
documentation that I've seen. I also am in favor of color formatting(see
Autodesk's documentation). I think in addition to standardizing formatting,
we need to revise the formatting style so that it makes pages easier to
read and understand. I'm thinking these things should be discussed
thoroughly before going and changing all the manual pages.

Here are some examples from Houdini's documentation, which is easy to read:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/model/polys
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/light/shadows