[Bf-docboard] Wiki Lock-down?

mindrones mindrones at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 12:48:25 CET 2012

Hi,

On 14 January 2012 21:10, Ryan King <rking at panoptic.com> wrote:
> I would like to understand why the documentation Wiki has the notice saying
> not to edit it. The spirit of Wikis is that they be open, and you trust the
> community will produce something good.

well that might be true for an encyclopedia like Wikipedia, but
unfortunately it doesn't work well for structured content as a
software manual as big as blender.

As a matter of fact, after 2 years that the 2.5/Manual has been left
open to editing, we had a *really* messed up manual, see
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Wiki_Tasks/Review_2.6_Manual
Lots of pages are just copies of the 2.4 manual, or are empty, or need work.
It took 2 months to review the 2.5 manual and to do that table (thanks
to Valter Battioli).

After that, 3 admins (namely Bastien, Francesco and me) agreed it
simply doesn't work without peer reviewing and hence we've decided to
"soft-lock" the wiki and ask people to be reviewed.

> Also, how long is the planned period for this policy?

The banner will be different, and maybe less prominent but people will
still have to get their content reviewed.

> Also, what can I do to help reduce the amount of time the policy will be in
> effect?

As Kesten has pointed out, see
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Guides/Writer_Guide#Official_Manual_Review_Workflow

Just pick up a page that needs work in
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Wiki_Tasks/Review_2.6_Manual
and propose an alternative in your user space, and you'll get a review
as soon as possible.

Basically after some *good* work on the manual, when we know we can
trust you, you can get a "reviewer" status, which means you'll be free
to edit the wiki (after discussion and planning if you want to do big
changes) but we also ask you to review other people stuff.

On 15 January 2012 09:32, Francesco Siddi <francesco.siddi at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can join the discussion on #mediawiki on IRC. Please be patient if you
> get no answer right away, as the channel is not very populated.

A small typo, it's #blenderwiki not #mediawiki :)

----

I was waiting for some replies to my mail about the new workflow but
it seems no one complained so far, hence end of the month we'll make a
public call for writers/reviewers, so that this stuff will be a bit
more "official".

Regards,
Luca