[Bf-docboard] Wiki Page: Transform Orientations

Ryan King rking at panoptic.com
Sat Feb 4 21:11:16 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 03:01:22PM +0100, kronthaler.georg at t-online.de wrote:
> Addendum to the subsurf page: adding a screenshot of the subdivide UVs file
> could help some users to save time, I created one : http://www.pasteall.org/pic
> /25714

Got it.

> On to the Orientations:

Wow, thanks for such a thorough review.

> Perhaps it could be added that it is also possible to constrain to the
> respective orientations while transforming using the middle mouse button.

I can only get it to constrain to the global axes. I link to
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Transform_Control/Axis_Locking
, which mentions this feature -- but since this page is about the Transform
Orientations I think the feature that only works for Global is a bit
off-scope. Agree?

> ... since the rotation page is lacking information ...

It's on my (eventual) TODO list. The task is non-trivial, though, since it
involves a bit of math and some tricky-to-illustrate points.

> Quaternion: Here I would have assumed that this has some special relevance to
> animating armatures and avoiding gimbal lock, but to be honest I have not used
> it yet, so I have to trust you if you say it's just the same as local.

The Quaternion rotation mode indeed is there (in part) to avoid Gimbal
Lock, but the Object Manipulator behaves as it does in Local mode. I made
this clearer on the page.

> least it saves you one keypress if you want to constrain movement to just
> one axis of the view-coordinates.

Yep, I was totally wrong.

> There seems to be one superfluous 'two' and actually I can't use hitting G/R a
> second time to use view orientation - could you please explain this further ?

I meant a second axis ([g][x][x]).  [g][g] does nothing that I can tell,
and [r][r] is one of my faves, Trackball.  So yep, I goofed that up.

> [Images]

Redone.

> [...]

I implemented the rest of your (excellent) suggestions.

Thank you very much.

-rking