[Bf-docboard] Wiki Page: Transform Orientations

kronthaler.georg at t-online.de kronthaler.georg at t-online.de
Fri Feb 3 15:01:22 CET 2012

Addendum to the subsurf page: adding a screenshot of the subdivide UVs
file could help some users to save time, I created one :
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/25714

On to the Orientations:

In the wording of the 1st paragraph, I would remove 'first' here:
"when you hit GX, it will first constrain..."
Perhaps it could be added that it is also possible to constrain to the
respective orientations while transforming using the middle mouse
button.

In Options, I somehow assumed that the text for Global belonged to the
image above, so I would suggest to have some more space above Global.

Global: I would shorten the beginning and enlarge upon manipulator
usage: 'The Global orientation's x,y,z are identical to the world's
x,y,z. Notice the Object Manipulator in the center of this object
(near the orange lines). If you click on one of the axes of the
manipulator with LMB, it will allow you to constrain movement to only
this direction, Shift-LMB clicking will lock the axis you clicked on
and allow you to move in the plane of the two remaining axes.'
To avoid users confusing the object origin for the Object Manipulator,
you could add this link to explain what the manipulator is
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Transform_Control/Manipulators

Gimbal: since the rotation page is lacking information about where to
change the rotation modes, perhaps you could add 'in the properties
panel of the 3D view' to Rotation Mode. While this introduces a little
redundancy once the other page is updated, it is not that much more
text.

Axis Angle: It seems to me that the z axis is pointing towards the
"skewer", so perhaps that could be added. At first I assumed that xyz
would still be rotational values, so for people like me who are
irritated by the word Rotation above wxyz, you could perhaps emphasize
more that the xyz values here are no longer rotational values but
define the global position vector of the skewer.

Quaternion: Here I would have assumed that this has some special
relevance to animating armatures and avoiding gimbal lock, but to be
honest I have not used it yet, so I have to trust you if you say it's
just the same as local.

At least it saves you one keypress if you want to constrain movement
to just one axis of the view-coordinates.
There seems to be one superfluous 'two' and actually I can't use
hitting G/R a second time to use view orientation - could you please
explain this further ?

Currently the Z axis arrow and the blue polygon don't separate well
(at least on my monitor). To increase the readability of the images,
you could either make the blue lighter/darker or change the mesh so it
does not overlap that much.
Layout-wise, it would look nicer if the images would be of the same
size, but I know that's a pain to redo. If you should find the time,
it could also be better to have the orientations menu visible in the
screenshot for Normal.

Custom Orientations:
I would replace 'allows you to rename the view' with 'allows you to
rename your currently active custom transform orientation'
In step 7 I think you meant to say 'Hit Y 2 times ...' or am I missing
something ?

Orientation to View:
It could be added that one can view from the opposite side of the
selected orientation using Ctrl-Shift Num1/3/7

Finally, I would remove the 'Additionally' - to me that looks as if
you would refer to a sentence above that got lost.

Georg

 POSTFACH FAST VOLL? Jetzt kostenlos E-Mail Adresse @t-online.de
sichern und endlich Platz für tausende Mails haben.
http://www.t-online.de/email-kostenlos [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.t-online.de/email-kostenlos