[Bf-docboard] About new 2.5 Docs

mindrones mindrones at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 22:26:27 CEST 2011

Hey Alex!

On 03/28/2011 03:57 PM, Alexander Sytnik wrote:

> 1) Is there any approved structure of 2.5 Docs yet?

the structure of the manual can vary a bit but basically for now will
stay similar to what it is now.

> 2) What will happen to (current) 2.4 documentation branch?

The basic idea is to copy the current Doc:Manual to a location like
Doc:2.4/Manual and then point Doc:Manual to Doc:<version>/Manual, with a
templates system.

This way when we'll have a Doc:2.6/Manual it'll be easy to point
Doc:Manual to 2.6 without renaming the pages anymore.

Since rewrites from 2.5 to 2.6 is not going to happen, I hope that after
the css cleanup and the templates cleanup and enhancement we'll be able
to reuse a lot from different version of the manual.

To do this, we'll need a proper (versioned) reference (more on this next
weeks).

Have a look at the Python docs pages: there you can find docs about
2.5, 2.7, 3.1, 3.2 and so on: that's the idea.

> Will it be archived entirely or some work will go on?

Well this should work as an archive system but always available for
editing, like wiki is. I don't think it's worth protecting old pages
from editing, because I assume they will "die" naturally.

Some investigation has to be done about search engines, because as we
discussed at the blender conf, we don't want to find blender 2.4
material when we're searching docs for blender 2.8 (say).

I'll discuss this with Francesco Siddi, but help is welcome on that side
if you have good knowledge about SEO :)

> 3) AFAIK 2.5x Blender branch will be a replacement for 2.4x and considered
> as current stable version. So, in terms of translation, should I focus on
> new 2.5 documentation or 2.4 branch must be completed first?

My suggestion is to work on 2.5, but be prepared to see quite some
changes :)

Regards,
Luca