[Bf-docboard] New Lighting chapter

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Sat Apr 11 15:00:55 CEST 2009

Hi everybody

I've made some updates to the proposed new "lighting" part, in the
sandbox (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Meta:Sandbox/Lighting_index).

I tried to take into accounts your remarks/suggestions:

Mindrones:
    I followed nearly all your suggestions about structure, except that
I kept the "Light and Shadows" page under the "lighting" path (not in
"lighting/lamps/common options"), as it isn't dedicated to lamps, it's a
more general introduction to shadowing, e.g. talking about ambient
occlusion and radiosity shadowing.
    It also appeared to me that it was more logical to have this naming
scheme for shadows lamps pages: "lamps/[type of lamp]/shadows/[type of
shadowing]", giving for example "lamps/sun/shadows/raytraced" or
"lamps/spot/shadows/buffered", so I renamed this pages accordingly.

For the same settings repeated on several pages, I added three new pages:
    *"lamps/common options" for the common lamps options;
    *"lamps/common options/shadows" for the shadowing options common to
all lamps and type of shadows;
    *"lamps/common options/shadows/raytraced" for the raytraced
shadowing options common to all lamps;
However, I kept the individual "lamps/xxx/shadows/xxx" ones, even though
they are now generally quite small, for consistency and future
evolutions: the wonderful Blender coders might very well further improve
lamps raytraced shadowing, creating more lamp-specific settings...

So, all in one, I think we now have a quite robust and future-ready
lighting structure.

Soylentgreen:
    About the (quite poor) examples in the lamp's pages themselves, I
just added a link to the "lighting rigs" page for now... Anyway, adding
good examples will be possible when in the main manual, this should not
be a (real blocking) problem, I think... And I must confess I have no
time right now to create them (the "mesh" part translation is quite a
piece of work ;)).

Let me know if you think it could be moved to the main manual now... or
if there are still problems to work on :)

Regards,
Bastien