[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 47, Issue 2

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Tue Dec 9 13:34:23 CET 2008

Hello,

after some thinking I have something to add/modify :)

mindrones wrote:
> To me it would be way better to have
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/local/fr/Manual/...
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/local/fr/QuickStart/...

maybe "local" is a non necessary level, it could be
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/fr/Manual/...
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/fr/QuickStart/...

We can have

/index.php/fr/Manual/Chapter1/page
/index.php/fr/Tutorials/Tut1/page

....in this case the links up there would be
< fr | Manual | Chapter1
< fr | Tutorials | Tut1

or

/index.php/Manual/fr/Chapter1/page
/index.php/Tutorials/fr/Tut1/page

....in this case the links up there would be
< Manual | fr | Chapter1
< Tutorials | fr | Tut1

I think people using the localized wiki will not jump to another language other than his/her own, so I find more intuitive and useful the first case.
The second case is more useful for people wanting to translate non-english pages to non-english pages, but that is less frequent :)

Also, if we decide to move localized pages, that could be easily done with mwclient: page objects have the 'move' method, so that could be done easily looking for title including '.br','.fr', etc

Regarding the redirect, if people have some wiki page bookmarked I don't like to have the "(redirected from ...)" up there in the navigation links (see here http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mindrones/test1/test2/test3).

A solution can be to eliminate the redirect to the each moved page and to add a gentle message that say something like "wiki has undergone some reorganization, please update your bookmarks", with a link to the new page (and/or the main main page).

This
"#REDIRECT [[User:Mindrones/new-test3-moved-from-test1-test2-test3]]"

might become

"=warning: wiki reorganization=
Explanation
Plaese go here [[User:Mindrones/new-test3-moved-from-test1-test2-test3]]"

With mwclient we can move pages, then modify the text inside the old pages without the need to do that manually, and that's good news :)

Regards, Luca

http://www.mindrones.com