[Bf-docboard] Bf-docboard Digest, Vol 47, Issue 2

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Tue Dec 9 05:48:55 CET 2008

Hi all,
thx for your replies :)

Roger Wickes wrote:
> 1) Hey Luca! Thanks for offering to do this, as I do think
> it would help. You realize that every page will have to be
> edited to change the nav links at the top and the bottom of
> each page.

No, I've recently edited the sequencer requests page and those links appear automatically. I don't know if this is by wikimedia design or by template, but it's there.

Please see here
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Talk:Requests/Sequencer/Strips

I have also made some test on my page here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mindrones/test1/test2/test3/test4

After those test I've realized a first problem: if we want to keep pages history we have to MOVE the pages and this means that the old link will redirect to the new onoe, and this could lead to some confusion.

Is there an alternative to move pages?

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> See also 2.3:
> http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlI/
> http://download.blender.org/documentation/htmlII/
>
> Her's my raw picture how to classify documents;
[...]

yes indeed I see that many local authors prefer to use that structure. Asap I'll try to make a proposal myself.

Roger Wickes wrote:
> Instead of Grease Pencil | Grease Pencil I would
> suggest that the folder be Global_Tools | Grease Pencil, as
> Grease Pencil is just an example of a tool that operates in
> multiple windows, and there will be others I am sure.

Yes as Ton suggested we should have a reference for tools.

Contents in pages like http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Interaction_in_3D may serve as Introductory text before a subsection index, wdyt?

Roger Wickes wrote:
> 2) There is no way to get a sitemap that I know of, short
> of looking at the server's folder structure though the
> file explorer.

I had a look and it seems that wikimedia has an api. If you go at
http://wiki.blender.org/api.php
you will find its 'help' page with examples.

Also, there's a useful python module based on that called wmclient
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Client_Code#Python
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mwclient/

With it you can quickly obtain an 'allpages' list.

This is a very naive script to do that counting "Main" namespace + "User:" namespace:

#! /usr/bin/env python

import mwclient
site = mwclient.Site('wiki.blender.org',path='')
bwiki=open('bwiki.txt','w')

at_root=0

mylist=[]
for page in site.allpages(namespace=0):
	mylist.append(page.name)
	if '/' not in page.name: at_root+=1
titles=sorted(mylist)

mylist=[]
for page in site.allpages(namespace=2): mylist.append(page.name)
titles+=sorted(mylist)

for title in titles:
	try:
			bwiki.write(title+'\n')
	except:
		print title

print '\nThere are %s pages, %s at the main root\n' % (len(titles),at_root)
bwiki.close()

There are 4427 pages, 310 at the main root

I'll try to count things later. If python gurus can help here I'd be glad :)

BTW, using

#! /usr/bin/env python
import mwclient
site = mwclient.Site('wiki.blender.org',path='')
for user in site.allusers(): print user['name']

it seems to me that there are too many users, they seems bot to me: many have name like
Zvukmir
Zw1Wkz
Zw9Rtn
ZwbLyc
ZwcS8c
Zwero
ZwgI7s
Zwiesel
ZwsNzp
ZwuAl2
Zx5B5x
Zx9D1f
Zxc447
ZxgC2l
ZxiZdb
Zxo102
ZxxThs
ZxzNd2

Roger Wickes wrote:
> There is no way to ensure any consistent
> content or structure across language versions as well. Each
> language editor has full control over their book. I have
> used the German version to create English pages, for
> example, so there are cases where logical content leads in
> one language version over the other.

Yes, This is some thing clear reading the list of the pages.
For example you have at the M

Main Page
Main Page.ar
Main Page.br
Main Page.ca
Main Page.cn
[etc]

then

QuickStart
QuickStart pl
QuickStart.br
QuickStart.dk
QuickStart.fi
QuickStart.fr

then

Tutorials.br/Introduction to Architecture Modeling.br
Tutorials.br/Textures Links
Tutorials.fr
Tutorials.fr/Introduction to Architecture Modeling.fr
Tutorials.pl

To me it would be way better to have

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/local/fr/Manual/...
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/local/fr/QuickStart/...
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/local/fr/Tutorials/...

and

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/local/dk/Manual/...
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/local/dk/QuickStart/...
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/local/dk/Tutorials/...

at least they would be well organized under "local" or we can use another term (i18n?)

Roger Wickes wrote:
> 3) Yes, it is better to use the Google Search engine and
> restrict pages to the Manual, Reference and Tutorial
> folders. We might want to add that somewhere(?) as a link
> perhaps to an HTML page that is pre-set up for that.
> Presently the wiki search is cross-wiki but can also
> sometimes give like a release note reference that helps.

OK, or using the api it is possible to customize the search?

Also, a server side script (python?) could produce the site map as well.

> 4) I've used fck, looks like it could be a replacement
> for the current. I only ever bold and italicize really, so
> the current header meets my needs.

You can habe the various titles styles available in the style dropdown menu, so that would also be useful to organize levels in the page

Regards,
Luca

http://www.mindrones.com