[Bf-docboard] problem with outdate doc mirrors

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 02:11:08 CEST 2006

Kent Mein wrote:

> While I agree that its good to point people to the current documentation,
> I do not think the solution is to remove the older docs which are what
> the book we are selling is produced off of.  It is also currently the
> only visible way to download the entire guide with one click.

I disagree; we can always leave a copy of the old manual a
download.blender.org with a nice, BIG warning pointing to
mediawiki.blender.org.  We need something to keep users from mistakenly
using the wrong manual version so much.

However mirrored sites are almost never up to date (with the exception
of stani's mirror, looks like it's just pre-mediawiki) so kindly asking
them to remove it can't be a bad thing.
> I think we do need to update:
> http://www.blender.org/cms/Manuals___Books.111.0.html
>
> Which you get to via blender.org click on InfoCenter->Using Blender->
> Manuals and books.
>
> Which is probably the way most people get to the documentation.

I think a lot of people use google too, which sadly doesn't even have
mediawiki.blender.org on the first page (which is why I asked those
mirrored sites to link to it, a sort of benign google bombing).