[Bf-docboard] Node editor docs

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Mon May 29 02:51:14 CEST 2006

Hi.  As some of you may remember, I volunteered to write the node editor
manual section last year.  After writing some stuff in the Tutorials
section on the wiki, I realized that I needed to wait for the node
features to stabilize before continuing.  Well, that's happened.

My plan is to complete the reference section I started (including making
sure it conforms to the manual style guides) and (if time permits) write
a series of tutorials about using both node shaders and the the
compositor.  You can see the reference section I'm working on at
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Tutorials/Nodes_Tutorial_Ref .
The actual tutorial I started is *way* too complex, so I'll be scrapping
that (no fault of ZanQdo who kindly provided me with his .blend to
disect, I asked for something complex, and well I got it -- bad call on
my part).

Tutorials are something I'm still new at (not to mention the fact that
my free time will evaporate in a week), so if anyone wishes to write
node tutorials for this, that would be great.  My plan (in terms of
tutorial topics) was to write two node shader and three compositor
tutorials.  The topics covered would be:

Shader nodes:
* Blending two materials
* Color-correcting a material with RGB curves.

Compositor nodes:
* Soft-glow effect (possibly the method used in ED :) ).
* Z-based mist effect.
* Z-based DOF effect.

joeedh