[Bf-docboard] Navigation Plugin

Ewout Fernhout chocolade at extrapuur.nl
Tue May 9 19:38:05 CEST 2006

On 5/9/06, a hettinger <oninoshiko at gmail.com> wrote:
> My thoughts were to put enough management functionality into header
> (if you were logged in) that those editing wouldn't even notice the
> tags (once we did the initial work). I was thinking about something to
> the effect of "<nav book="Manual" next="V" prev="III" />" and having
> the code auto adjust it as necessary.

This faces the problem of inserting a new chapter as I described before...

> If adding tables to the DB isn't a problem (my thoughts had kinda
> assumed it was for some irrational reason),  then we could make the DB
> handle it, but my first instinct is "that's overkill."

I really do think this has benefits, because the user doesn't have to
worry about tags, and you could just have a TOC-management interface
where you can sort stuff out, then the navigation would be adjusted to
those settings.

Also, not having tags but just the edit interface is better because
you could then even edit the page navigation info directly from the
management tool (without altering the tags within the page - that
feels a bit hacky).

Ewout